Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Midnight Train to...

"If we're not perfect, then our goals aren't perfect either. Sometimes we confuse our goals with God's will. We think they're the same thing. So an inevitable part of life is the frustration of at least some of our goals. We simply won't get everything we want or do everything we desire. God has a different plan than simply giving us the satisfaction of a to-do list. He frustrates us to change us - to turn our life in a different direction. But even more important, to bend our heart toward the habitual posture of submission and obedience. He gets us off our fast track and onto the lonely train at midnight to somewhere we didn't plan to go."

That was a quote from Dave Harvey's book Rescuing Ambition. It sounds like I am on the lonely train at midnight, so then the idea comes to my mind, what is God redirecting? I can think of a few things, but I think it is mostly the "habitual posture of submission and obedience." Slowing me down to take notice of what God is doing, instead of what I am doing or needing to do on my list. Is my to-do list that important? Most likely not, it is made of things which I think are important, but when God sees it, there isn't much there that is probably really important. What is God teaching us in the slow time is most likely very important, than what I think is important or what I think God's will might be. We look at accomplishing as much as possible throughout our days, as if busyness equals obedience. We live in a society which values being busy, more than being obedient. Think about those around you and how the idea of being busy is considered something good, and even holy. Being busy is good at times and producing fruit for the kingdom of God is important, but are we slowing down ever to listen to God's plan, instead of telling Him ours? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers