Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What Do You Want to Do With Your Life?

In the Christian world we hear much about identity and purpose. What we want from our lives and what we expect to gain during our time on Earth. We place many expectations on God and others to meet these desires. We set up in our minds a dream of what life is going to be like, and what plans we put in place to accomplish this mission. Questions like, "where do you see yourself in five years?" We have a quest for what we want in life and expect it to be fulfilled in our way and time. I began to read a book by Dr & Mrs. Howard Taylor, about the life of Howard's father, Hudson Taylor, called "Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret." Early in his life he was asking the same questions we ask, where should I go, what should I do with my life? Hudson had a total different view of the matter, "He had come to an end of himself, to a place where God only could deliver, where he must have His succor (aid), His saving strength. If God would but work on his behalf, would break the power of sin, giving him inward victory in Christ, he would renounce all earthly prospects, he would go anywhere, do anything, suffer whatever His cause might demand and be holly at His disposal."


The world cries out, "be all you can be," " just do it," " follow your heart," and "if you believe in yourself, you can accomplish anything." Many have asked me "what do you want to do?” this question that has always perplexed me, not in wondering what I want to do, but the whole idea of the question. If I truly believe in the lordship of Christ, is that a question I can even think of pondering? If He is truly Lord, than that is a question He can only answer for me. The servant cannot tell His Lord what he is going to do, and expect Him to follow the orders given, but the opposite is true. We are to ask of Him, what is it You want me to do? But in American society we think we have rights to tell God what we want, instead of seeking what He wants from and with us. When I look at men and woman God truly used through the history of the world I see one thing, and that is like the account of Hudson Taylor, he availed himself to God, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers