Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Follower or Complainer?

When I have gone to church I have a tendency to look at what is wrong at times. The singing and presentation is more focused on the performers than God. What I didn’t like about the sermon, how ministry should be done, and how much money the church is spending and where it goes. These are a few things I might think about. I am sure some of you have your own list. Some are bona fide issues, and others are not. While I carry on this dialog in my mind, I must think about what is truly going on inside of me. One night as I read Numbers 16 & 17 about the rebellion of Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, I was convicted of my own. My rebellion of God’s appointed leadership of the church; I lost respect for the leaders. I am not only talking about the preaching ministers who lead us, I am talking about the elders, deacons, and ministry leaders. But my true rebellion is against God Himself, because I have been rebelling against whom He has put over me as a leader. I have not submitted to them, I sit in my comfortable seat and judge them harshly. I look through the eyes of one who thinks he knows better. The big question is who know better? Ultimately, the answer is God. I think the trap of the Christian who is growing in knowledge is to become more judgmental. I think we all have to make sure we don’t fall prey to our own pride when we grow. (1 Corinthians 13:1) Judgmental of what leaders are doing, what others should be doing. The next day I finished reading the rest of the reading plan and it brought me to Hebrews 13, which says, “Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.”  (Hebrews 13:7) “Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.”  (Hebrews 13:17) So the next time you feel the need to complain, or the need to reform the church, don’t just sit there, if you really think something needs to change, then get up off your seat and be a part of the church. Instead of those who bring division by their lips and lack of action. We need to respect those in leadership, and one way of showing respect is by our willingness to help. Are you a follower, or a divider? Do you seek to bring unity within the body, or to divide by your criticism? Those who tend to be critical usually are the last ones to act. So today let our hands and feet put into action what our words say.

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.  James 1:22

1 comment:

Followers