Sunday, July 25, 2010

Silence…. Why do I fear you so?

Silence…. Why do I fear you so?
Is it because I fear what you will say to me in the depths of your quietness? Will what I run from awaken in the stillness of the penetrating sound of you. What haunts me deep down seems to fear you drawing him out. What deafening sound screams aloud in the silence? What warfare rages in the stillness of that quiet room, with nothing but the four walls, and the thick air of noiseless moments? What in that solitary place does the flesh fear so much as to avoid it? While the restless soul seems to have a hard time slowing down, the noise of the world has kept the soul from seeking this quietness with God. Oh but maybe that is the voice I fear in the busyness, it is the noisy world I live in that keeps His voice at bay. It is a busyness that keeps my mind preoccupied with the so-called pleasures of this world. A joy that is lessened because it is no joy at all that settles for anything besides our God. He in those quiet times speaks to the heart, if I will slow down, and patiently wait on Him, in those rooms filled with solitary silence. It is a place that gives way to sacrifice, a sacrifice of our time, of our pleasures and a sacrifice of our passions. In that time, the peace and rest is in the One who can only truly give it to us. He waits for those who diligently seek Him, in the discipline of silence, solitude, and sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers